Saturday, February 11, 2017

Let's Be Honest: Hipsters edition

Lets be honest, hipsters aren’t doing anything new.  They are taking older trends, often associated with blue collar or classic traditions, and making them new again.

I recently had students accuse me of being a hipster because of my full, thick, glorious beard, and I was wearing a beanie, black rimmed glasses, and a plaid shirt.  I stated that I’ve actually been wearing this since I was in high school, granted my beard has only come in nice thick and glorious in the last decade or so.  

I've been wearing these type of glasses since Junior High, which was way before they were hip, and I  recently found out at 40, I'm protected against agism by the ADEA, BUT we do use essential oils, and beard balms. We do prefer the organic, crafted, and artisanal, to the mass produced foods and beverages and lets not forget we do live in an ’83 Airstream.
 I guess by these standards we are hipsteresque. Truthfully, the idea is genius, taking something old and antiquated and making it seem new and cool. 

But it's not a new concept… in fact Let’s be honest, this is what God has done for us, look at 2 Corinthians 5:17-18
 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  The old has passed away; behold the new has come.  All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.
 The old is new in Christ. No matter where you’ve been, what you’ve done, the truth is, there is no longer condemnation in his name.  Once you’ve made Christ, lord of your life, you are now a new creation.  

 Let’s be honest, trends fade, the "vintage" fashions will one day become old-fashioned, and the antiques will once again become antiquated. 


BUT when you’ve made Christ your life, the new is forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment